Sunday, December 11, 2016

Hello from Micronesia!

Kasehlelie! Hey all!! Sorry I did not have a Pday last week, so I couldn't email home. 

So the flight to Guam was super long. We flew from SLC to LAX (had to deice the plane, which added almost another hour to the airplane time.. yuck). Then from LAX we went to Hawaii, then the super long flight to Guam. So we left at 6am on Monday and landed at 6PM on Tuesday. So I lost a day, but that's alright. I will get it back when I go home. 

Once we got to Guam, we went to the President's house and ate dinner (Nothing crazy, just pizza). We slept there too, the first night. Wednesday we went to the chapel and had training. We also got to meet our companions and find out where we will be serving. Guess where I am?? Pohnpei! It is beautiful here!! I see the ocean every day! Not so much the beach though, because Sister Fehoko and I are serving in Sekere, which is a driving zone and doesn't seem to have too many beaches. It's very much a jungle here. I will get a machete eventually, so I can drink from those coconuts that are everywhere here!

I love the people here! They are so friendly. They are very humble too. You are well off if you have solid concrete walls instead of plywood and metal, and can paint those concrete walls. Very few have any kind of furnishing, so we sit on the concrete/tile floor mostly. Some have chairs we can sit on, or a bench or something. It puts things in perspective for sure. Be thankful for what you have, because it is so much more than many people have. 

#LightTheWorld. Look into it it, then do it!

I haven't seen any huge spiders yet. Lots of lizards though!! You would love it, Maddy! I will have to get some pictures of them. And then there are dogs... everywhere. They are not pets though, not really. Many if not all of them have some kind of disease. It breaks my heart, and I wish I could help them, but we can't really touch them. If we do we can't touch our face, and we have to wash our hands. 

So last I emailed the Christlike attribute I was working on was diligence. I don't have a lot of time, but 1 Nephi 10:19 talks about how the mysteries of God are unfolded to him that diligently seeks. To be diligent means to study. You have to have a purpose(Jacob 1:7). When we take upon us the name of Christ, we are diligent in keeping his commandments (Mosiah 1:11). Moroni tells us we have to diligently search in the light of Christ so we can know good from evil (Moroni 7:19). To be diligent is to be constant. To be diligent is to endure. So don't give up, ever. Just take one step at a time, and rely on the Lord. Pray. Read your scriptures.
This next week will be Patience. 

I only have an hour, sadly.... So I am almost out of time. I am staying so busy, but I am loving it here. The weather is beautiful. It has yet to dump rain on us, but I know it is coming. The language is slowly coming along, too. I am learning a little be at a time.

Thank you for your prayers! I feel them. I am praying for you all, too. I hope all is well back home. 

Here is my address:

PO Box 2203
Kolonia, Pohnpei 
FSM 96941

I poakpoakeikumwail (I love you all)
Sister Springer


No comments:

Post a Comment