Friday, December 30, 2016

Merry Christmas!!

Merry Christmas kumwail!!! 

Christmas in Pohnpei is definitely different. It almost didn't feel like Christmas without the snow and cold, hot cocoa and caroling, sledding and pine trees. But it was still fun! We went to the ward Christmas party (soooo different from home, but still lots of fun... They sang songs and shared their talents). Then we all ate all this local food. And hot dogs are a thing here, apparently. And no, they aren't dogs.... hot dogs just like from home haha. It was pretty good. Then we went to this place and the missionaries did a nativity scene for the locals. Then they laid out all these really cool gifts the locals made and had the missionaries draw for them. I got this super cool carving of a manta ray and two fish things made out of some kind of plant and seashells (Tyler White, if you are reading this, I think you would have a blast here. So many cool things they make out of plants and things. Also, I was talking to a local guy, Jones, and he said that people come here and tell them they have lots of food and all these plants that grows here naturally that is edible... but they don't teach the local people how to cook/make it. Kinda crazy.)

I keep forgetting to mention, but bangs are no good in humidity!!! Just sayin'.

Today I think homesickness finally hit me a little bit. Funny thing is, talking to and seeing my family is what did it. I realized how much I miss them. I was thinking and praying about it while we were driving, and a thought occurred to me (thank you, Spirit). I told Heavenly Father the other day that going home is not an option for me. The thought I had was, there is a reason I am on Pohnpei right now. I cannot go home, and I cannot focus on myself and what I want. I HAVE to focus on the work and serving the people here. It is hard, so hard sometimes. But I "have trusted in [the Lord] and I will trust in [Him] forever." (see 2 Nephi 4)

I don't have much time today (ok, ever), but I just wanted to say thank you for the prayers. They are felt. 

Ok, so this week's attribute of Christ was Charity. Learned lots, don't have time to say it all.. But here it is in a nutshell. Charity is teaching and serving, and not being proud of the service you give. Charity is turning out from yourself, completely. Scriptures: Alma 32:28-29, Moroni 7:44-48. 
This week I will focus on Hope. 

Merry Christmas again everyone!! I miss you all and think about you often. 

Kasalel!
Sister Springer







No comments:

Post a Comment